Tuesday 8 April 2014

Popping Panels

Hello Lovelies!

As promised, this is part 2 of the shopping trip post.  The reason this is a separate post is because I have loads of linkies and pics in this post.

So after Ikea we headed over to Brunswick Street Fitzroy, you know because we just blend right in with all the hipsters (not) to a place called Panelpop...


Whaa? Why? I hear you ask...  Well there's a bit of a backstory here.

Remember we went on an art walk?  I blogged about it here. Well on that walk we went into a gallery and lo and behold, a friend of mine who I hadn't seen for some time was the artist in residence for the month.  His name is Robert Lee Davis, and this is where he was at the time.

The girls were really impressed with his art work, as anyone would be - it's awesome. So I contacted him to ask if he would teach us a private class... and he said yes!!! So Robert is coming to my house to teach us his methods on Anzac day (sorry to the Vets / Diggers, but I won't be attending the parade this year).

Robert's substrate of choice is a product called Panelpop, hence our visit to their store - we needed to buy a panel for our class.  Each panelpop is made from recycled wood (mostly fence palings) and reconstituted limestone with a (recycled) polystyrene backing. 


The limestone is sanded back to be smooth but still has enough tooth and absorbency to retain watercolour, oil or acrylic paints. You can even erase your art by using a small amount of water and a kitchen scourer or sandpaper. 

The store was awesome... Just look at the vibrancy of colour they get on the panels, and they have the best business cards - little blocks of polystyrene with the shop name branded on!


Mmmm, this wall of art was great.  I really liked the way that they had stuck together a bundle of the teeny panels to create a curved blank canvas (bottom left of the photo).


 The girls having a shop...


So the blank panels cost $30 for a smallish one, and $40 for the larger ones... a pretty reasonable price considering the work that goes into creating them in the first place.  Each panel has its own character because of the use of recycled timber as a frame, so its already a "one-off" before you start.

Once I have done my class with Robert, I'll blog about how easy/hard it is to use a panelpop.  You never know, I may even create a class using these for my students...

I found a little video on the PanelPop shop here as well. 

My next blog post will be a more arty update.  I have found a little bit of time to get some playing in for myself. Woohoo!

'Till next time.

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment