Thursday 5 June 2014

Art Journaling 101 in Geelong

Hello Lovelies,

Just dropping in with an update on my in person class that started last weekend at Create on Ormond in Geelong.

The first class in INKtoxicated Art Journaling 101 is called Laboratory, and its all about substrates & supplies.  Students learn how to deal with different substrates and how supplies react on different surfaces.  We cover a lot of ground in this first class as we do 2 spreads!!

The first spread we tackle in the class is this one:
As you can see, the idea is to divide up the page and test different "dry" supplies on different surfaces.  This gives the students a good feel for what can be achieved both fro the base page and within layers.

A golden rule for us arty hoarders is use your art supplies before you find them a home in your studio - otherwise you will probably never use them at all! Just the act of doing a simple test like this in your art journal means that you are more likely to actually use your supplies.  I reckon that's got to be a good thing!

The next spread we tackle is the sprays.  Obviously we can't be as "neat" with sprays as we can with the dry supplies, so the page needs to be a little different. Here's the sample of the second spread.
Left page:
 Right page:

Fun huh!

Here are some pics of my wonderful students working hard during class.






I'd also like to give a big shout out to my good friend Joan (aka Joan of Art) who came down to Geelong with me to give me a hand in the first class. You're a champ!!

If you are interested in attending Art Journaling 101 and live in or around the Melbourne area, I am taking names to run the class again either in Geelong or in Docklands. Drop me a line and let me know. Once I get to 6 interested students I will be able to run the class.

'till next time

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment