Friday 11 July 2014

Art Journal Pages - Colour Theory

Hello lovelies!

I'm sharing some art journal pages today.  As you may know, I am running my Art Journal Basics course in Geelong at the moment, and I am re-doing all the class pages and recording the process.

I have released the first class as free video tutorials here, if you are interested in playing along!

Of course I can't do things in exactly the same way that I did it the first time, that would be boring... So I thought that I would share my progression for you...

So here's the first colour theory page. Students make a colour wheel of their own, and put in all the relevant "colour words" like monochromatic, secondary, primary, tertiary etc.  This was the first version:
and here is the second version!
~I love using colour wheels!

Next is a Monochromatic spread and a window cut out. First version:


and now the second version:
Lastly the Complementary / Analogous spread.  This is the "through the window" spread.  In the first season of Art Journaling Basics I had the students creat a spread that was in an analogous colour from the monochrome spread and add pops of the monochromatic pages' complementary colour where they could be seen through the window. 
But this was a little difficult for most of the students to manage, so this time everyone is creating an Analogous page from the Complementary colour to the Monochromatic page.  In my case this means taking the complementary colour of red violet - which is yellow green and making an analogous page from that colour as a start.  This means that I have a page in the yellow-green to orange spectrum, mostly focused on yellow-green.
Confused? I hope not, otherwise my students will be confused too.

How about putting your colour theory knowledge to work in your Art Journal this weekend? I'd love to see how you get on.

'till next time

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment