Sunday 26 October 2014

Art Journal Pages - the 201 progression continues into transfers

Hello lovelies!


This is the final installment in my art journal 201 progression, as it was the final class in the series yesterday. 

The final class is about transfers.  I know, transfers can be tough, and I probably shouldn't be teaching these in an introductory art journaling program... but my logic is that I want my students to complete the 6 classes with a toolbox of techniques that will enable them to do anything they want on a page.   And transfers are an important part of being able to do that.

So we do 2 transfer techniques in class - tape transfers and gel transfers.  I pre-prepare skins for the students and discuss the technique, but we don't have enough drying time for skins to cure properly, so its a toughie to do in class.


Here's the transfers page from the first iteration of Art Journaling 201:

and here's the second. 
This page has a bit more collage than the previous, as I want to introduce the students to the concept of mixing their techniques.   Often I find that they will compartmentalise and have a page of "texture" and then a page of "transfers".  In Art Journaling 202 we start to explore the ideas of using multiple techniques on pages as well as mixing up our techniques and media.

So I will be a bit quiet on the blog for the next few weeks.  The packing men arrive early tomorrow morning (7.30 am), to move my house interstate, and I have to clean before my tenants move in.  I've got a day at the races Saturday, and then its off to Perth to house hunt in a week before starting my new job. 

'till next time

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment